INTERNATIONALISATION STRATEGY 2020"PSTU" > International Work > INTERNATIONALISATION STRATEGY 2020
International Strategy, which was developed by PSTU take University to 2020, which sets out our internationalisation objectives and is supported with developing the international capacity of our staff, enhancing our international dimension into research and academic activities.
“Internationalisation” is key to PSTU’s success and is embedded in everything we do. All Faculty, Department and staff have “international objectives” as part of their yearly appraisal process and personal development plans. There are many ways that staff, both professional services and academic, can support our International Strategy and help create truly “global graduates”. The University Complex Development Program has Internationalisation as one of its topic themes and outlines the following aims:
To develop the University internationally we will:
- do high quality, ground-breaking research in collaboration with industries and business operators;
- develop study programs that prepare students to succeed in the modern global economy;
- create opportunities for international mobility programs, for both students and academic staff;
- promote and publicize our strengths on the international stage.
This strategy aims to help PSTU achieve a deep-rooted international culture, and global impact in its work.
The strategy is designed to help us bring about measurable benefits for the University in a wide range of business areas, including:
- Improved cultural understanding between the University and key international partners;
- Increasing sustainable and diversified recruitment of highly-qualified students;
- Establish research partnerships which have intellectual value;
- Enhanced institutional reputation;
- Better employment and exchange opportunities for PSTU students;
- A curriculum and campus which is attractive to UA and international students who will be increasingly active in a global marketplace;
- Academic and research endeavor and opportunity;
- Reputation building, stakeholder engagement and embedding the university international profile;
- Internationalisation in the PSTU community.
To build international activity which is rooted in the academic strengths of the University we will establish a range of measures to encourage and support international links in the areas of research, teaching and knowledge exchange. These will be founded on the University’s academic strengths and the long-term research achievements of departments and will include revision and updating of academic programs, applying for research funds, ensuring seminar and conference support, and a program of international profile-building.
To support internationally significant research undertaken at PSTU
To enhance international opportunity for students PSTU will intensify the activities defined in the cooperation agreements working with a range of partners. We will also need to define the ways in which we will work towards helping our students become ‘global citizens’.
Travelling on behalf of the University, in any form, gives staff the opportunity to experience different working practices in an international context, meet peers from various cultural backgrounds working in diverse communities.
These experiences can help staff develop their own skills in understanding and communicating effectively with others as well undertaking important work to drive internationalisation at PSTU forward.
To develop the curriculum and research environment at PSTU so that it is attractive to UA and international staff and students.
The University’s aims to make the curriculum culturally diverse and internationally focused, and provide a high quality research environment via collaboration with the key players in industries.
PSTU will continue building up reputation among business, alumni, mass media and other opinion-forming audiences, and promote all aspects of the University’s work. Current strong student recruitment indicates that the University has a good reputation in its main recruitment markets.
As part of this, we will continue to map existing links and ensure that our most important alliances have a critical mass of work and personal relationships to support and sustain them. We will develop memoranda of understanding of real substance with institutions which are a good fit for PSTU in important teaching, research or knowledge exchange areas.
Embedding internationalisation in the PSTU community to internationalise the student experience and campus at PSTU we will bring an international perspective to as many aspects of the student experience as possible, working with student organisations at PSTU.
To develop activity and partnerships which are solid and sustainable we will carry out appraisal of sustainability of international work at PSTU divisions. This will apply to income streams from joint international projects, partnership and exchange agreements, business relationships and on-campus activity.
Internationalisation strategy in your university, mission and visions. Short-term and long-term goals
The mission of the University:
The university’s strategic plan for the future calls for generation, preservation, dissemination and application of knowledge and cultivation of arts to benefit the people of Mariupol, the nation and the global community.
- Internationalization of education
Training of highly qualified professionals which are adaptability in the today’s world industrial, social and economic conditions and capable of effectively resulting of iintellectual potential, meet the demands of the economy and society;
Conducting joint international fundamental and applied research and development projects in priority areas of science and technology, which position the University as an international innovative educational, research and production Centre;
Improving and strengthening the reputation of the PSTU on the international stage, the University entrance into the world educational space and the formation of its positive image
- In-depth study and use foreign experience in the development of education and science, including the implementation of the requirements of the Bologna Process.
- Development of educational, scientific and cultural relations of the University with foreign partners, organizations.
- 3.The use of new communication technologies to expand the geography of international cooperation.
- 4.Updating educational programs and strengthening the material and technical base of the university in international educational and scientific projects.
- Internationalization of education, the development of plans for courses with an international theme and creation of the courses with increased international component.
- Increasing the contingent and geography of foreign in PSTU.
- Increasing of the academic mobility:The internationalization of education in Ukraine and the EU proceeds in very similar forms and directions, so the foreign experience of cooperation in great demand.
Internationalisation priorities of PSTU.
- Improving the quality of researches – mobility of the researchers and specialists, attraction of leading European scientists to the joint researching and teaching at the university.
- Development of international institutional mobility and mobility programs
- The development of the export of educational services.
- Academic mobility of students and teachers, which allows to provide new levels of interaction between the various educational and economic systems, the organization of training and training of specialists in the leading foreign educational centers.
- Promoting cooperation between educational and scientific organizations
- Development of new, including interdisciplinary, research directions
- Solving global problems, creating a culture of commercialization and technology transfer
- Increasing the quality of the personnel of potential in research and manufacture innovative areas
PSTU objectives for International Mobility (students and staff)
The main part of the process of internationalization of education today is the academic mobility. Students and teachers have the opportunity to get first-hand experience of living and working in a global environment, and than subsequently use it to improve the various branches of science and industry in a high school, the region and in Ukraine in whole.
– Study and implementation European model of university education, which allows to move away from conservative standards and do university / region more attractive, and, as a consequence, increase the number of foreign students at the university and the number of foreign investments in the region:
- Maximum use of the potential and resources of the University to achieve results in all areas and aspects of international activities;
- Monitoring of the current state and potential of international cooperation in the faculties, departments and divisions of the University, bringing them to the expansion of international, educational and scientific cooperation;
- Expansion of international contacts, which are necessary to provide scientific and practical activities and educational work of the university;
- Improving University rankings by increasing the weighting of the index “International Activities”;
- Expansion of geography of the international cooperation of the University through the signing of agreements on international cooperation with educational and research institutions and improve the effectiveness of international cooperation at the level of departments, faculties, the university as a whole
International Projects Department are responsible for ICM The Department functions as coordinating and and advisory structure that will help increase academic mobility of students in our university.
- Informing students of the University of opportunities and proposals for participation in the programs of academic mobility abroad.
- Advising students on preparation and filing of documents on education, scientific training, etc ..
- Ensuring compliance with current legislation in the organization and execution of the departure of students in universities.
- Organization of presentations of grant, scholarship and other programs and activities to promote academic mobility of students of the University
- Administration and coordination of the introduction of a double degree and exchange programs for students
Support departments at PSTU which provide info on visa obtaining, health insurance, accommodation, etc. for incoming mobility
- Issuing invitation for studies,
- medical insurance,
- visa support
Competitive selection of applicants is carried out between PSTU and European partner university
General mobility conditions stipulated in each case and indicated in inter-institutional agreement with the European partner university (number of students, teachers, the duration of the program and its direction, funding, the deadline for documents, etc.)
General principles of competitive selection are honesty, transparency and equal conditions for all candidates.
The selection of participants for each direction are carried out by the commission which consist of a representatives of the faculty, members of the student council, head of international projects Dept. Head of the commission is Vice -rector for scientific and educational work. The composition of the Committees shall be approved by order of the rector of PSTU.
After mobility: The responsible Faculty and profile Department recognize mobility results if
70-80 % corresponds content and hours- automatically
Less than 70%- take tests on lack moduls
Other important facts and figures that might be helpful in International Credit Mobility.
2014 – Ukraine is associated member of European Union.
The new Ministry of Education and Science sets new targets. One of them is making Ukrainian educational system compatible with European standards. In 2015 the Ministry issued normative acts and regulations giving more academic freedom and autonomy to universities in choosing the subjects to be included into BA/MA programmes. Now, PSTU is more flexible in building up the curricula which responds to the business demands.
Mariupol, where PSTU is situated is an industrial city with number of the largest metallurgical, machine-building and other enterprises, where PSTU students have professional training courses
PSTU has been providing training for international students for almost 40 years. Egypt, Morocco, Syria, Jordan, China, to name just a few of them.